[sylpheed:35951] Re: Is it possible to run applications by file extension?

Onur Küçük onur at delipenguen.net
Thu Jan 16 06:54:53 JST 2014

On Wed, 15 Jan 2014 07:18:51 -0800 (PST)
Globe Trotter <itsme_410 at yahoo.com> wrote:

> Thank you! This is the sort of information i was looking for.Btw,
> with regard to xdg settings, where is this set, I use a window
> manager (openbox) but not a desktop, where would i find the file to
> edit?

 Here is some information on how to query and setup these stuff

 https://wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/xdg-open

 so you can read the config and set the defaults with xdg-mime. You can
also use "xdg-settings --list" to list the current defaults for the
running environment, I don't know how openbox handles those.

 In my environment when I setup these defaults as a user they are kept
in

 ~/.local/share/applications/defaults.list

 and the system generic (default) ones are in

 /usr/share/applications/defaults.list

 so looking at the syntax of the system generic one you can create your
own, or just setup once using something like

 xdg-mime default xpdf.desktop application/pdf

 and modify the file it creates. The name of the file / directories
might differ from distro to distro but I guess they are usually the
same between distros.

--
 Onur Küçük                                      Knowledge speaks,
 <onur.--.-.delipenguen.net>                     but wisdom listens