[sylpheed:35989] Mail Notification or Popup with brief display of "subject"

stef stef_204 at yahoo.com
Thu Feb 13 18:32:03 JST 2014

Hi,
Using Sylpheed 3.3.0 on Linux x86_64.
I would like to have some type of mail notification or "pop-up" which ideally would include both a sound and a small pop-up with would display the "subject" of the email.
I receive lots of emails (hundreds per day))on one particular email address--of inventory parts and prices and, when receiving these emails, seeing "xyz part at $50" (for example) when that is the text used in the "subject" field is very helpful, even if it displays for only 5 or 10 seconds.
I do get that when using Opera, for example, but I really want to only use Sylpheed due to its lightness and small footprint, etc. (great app, btw).
I tried inserting some command in the Configuration|Common Preferences|Execute Command when new messages arrive, by sticking "cvlc /home/MyUSerName/Media/Sounds/sound528.wav" for example for sound--which seems to work (but I need to add something to "quit" vlc after it plays sound; and I also tried to add notify-send "-i /usr/share/pixmaps/sylpheed.png "New Mail" -t 300000" which does not seem to work at all.
How can I combine both sound and popup? I'd need to know how to configure both separately first and then combine them--no idea how to go about it. Perhaps a script?
Tx for feedback.