[sylpheed:35974] Re: sylpheed: Off Topic - GPS unit

cgw993 at aol.com cgw993 at aol.com
Sat Feb 1 15:28:18 JST 2014

Yes. I might as well make data collection more difficult and maybe even get
a better & more reliable gps system in the process. What does your GPS
device reveal about you?

-Where you go
-When you go
-How fast you drove there
-How long you stayed
-Maybe even how well you drive or what your driving patterns are

I imagine insurance companies would love to have this data to charge you
higher rates, that Garmin may end up costing you much more than the purchase
price.  If a company anonymizes data, whatever that is, it can still be
combined with data from other sources, and together that data is enough to
uniquely identify you. Maybe if Amazon.com knows your driving habits, or
what you happen to drive past, it can build a profile about you.  Maybe this
data in some form ends up in a background check and you don't get that great
new job because of this profile?  This is I imagine only 1 of many possible
uses for the data, all of which you would probably object to if you treated
decently and asked in any real way before they take this data from you.   My
policy is to just try to make data collection impossible, I have not had
much luck but at least with a GPS device, I might be able to put something
together.