[sylpheed:35527] Re: Problem displaying accents

nomnex nomnex at gmail.com
Tue Jan 15 11:11:26 JST 2013

> On Mon, 14 Jan 2013 20:33:54 +0400
> Anton Shepelev <anton.txt at gmail.com> wrote:
>
> nomnex:
>
> > I  receive  emails in French language with accents
> > (from France, Belgium, Switzerland).  The  accents
> > display  correctly in the email reader; not when I
> > save the message as .eml, or display  the  message
> > source.
>
> I  think  not,  because such are the real sources of
> those messages.  Internally, they can't contain non-
> ASCII charaters, but e-mail clients analyze the mes-
> sage header for information about the  encoding  and
> deduce  a  way to interpret those ASCII-encoded sym-
> bols.

Can I send you the message directly (it contains private information)?
The French accent [é] displays correctly in the sylpheed message window.
If I save the message or read the source (Ctrl-U), it shows [=E9]
instead.

NB:
I often encounter problems, when receiving emails from languages using
accents [eg. all the French accents are replaced with 3 dots, or a
random letter]. It is probably because the senders use HTML emails, and
a bad (euphemism) email client, that is Outlook.

My Commons Preferences > Display > Message were:

[x] Render HTML messages as text
[x] Treat HTML only messsages as attachment

Since I have disabled

[-] Render HTML messages as text

I must open troublesome messages in a browser, but the letters with
accents display correctly.

Although there is probably little I can do on my end. Is there a
display preference I might want to change (I use the default). Thank
you.

--
nomnex <nomnex at gmail.com>
Freenode: nomnex