[sylpheed:35746] Re: Chokes with "application/x-pkcs7-signature" messages

Ingo Strauch brack at the-one-brack.org
Mon Aug 5 00:20:25 JST 2013

On Fri, 29 Jun 2007 22:23:44 -0300
Ricardo Nabinger Sanchez <rnsanchez at wait4.org> wrote:

> I've chased down some chokes which seemed random to messages containing
> signatures application/x-pkcs7-signature.  How can I check further
> what's going on?
>
> When opening messages with those signatures, usually for a first time
> per session, Sylpheed hangs for a while, in select() state (seen on
> top(1)), in something that looks like remote lookup for something.
> There's no relevant CPU activity while hung, btw.

I noticed the same recently. When I select a message with an
"application/pkcs7-signature", sylpheed "freezes" for a handful of
seconds.

In wireshark I see it retrieves http://crl.cacert.org/class3-revoke.crl.
When I download that file via wget, it took around 20 seconds. It's
only 556k but the bandwidth between the server and my machine was
25KB/s on average. Sylpheed's UI doesn't respond during that time.

Any ideas how to improve the situation when the response of
crl.cacert.org is slow? Like downloading that file in the background at
startup and caching it for some time?

Thanks in advance,
Ingo

P.S.: searching the web a bit, I found some references to gpgsm and
dirmngr with the latter being configurable as a server. Haven't found
out yet, if that can be set up in a way that the CRL(s) are fetched via
autostart of my window manager and then used by sylpheed...

--
"What're quantum mechanics?"
"I don't know. People who repair quantums I suppose."