[sylpheed:35238] Re: Mailto syntax (Opera)

Michael A. Puls II shadow2531 at gmail.com
Wed May 9 19:48:08 JST 2012

On 5/6/2012 12:02 PM, Gene Goldenfeld wrote:
> Awhile back I asked about Mailto syntax to use in Opera to open a
> Sylpheed compose window and came up with --compose mailto: % t.
> That's not working now.  Anyone have success with anything else? Thanks,

On Windows, you'd just set Sylpheed as the default for mailto. Then, in
Opera, you'd just make sure "Ctrl + F12 -> advanced -> programs ->
mailto -> edit" is set to "open with default application". On linux, you
*might* be able to do the same in some situations.

However, if you want to specify the command yourself (on windows or
linux), you can use the "open with other application" option. The syntax
for it is at <http://www.opera.com/support/kb/view/472/>.

On linux, you basically want to use %r. On Windows, you want to use
mailto:%t?subject=%s&body=%m&cc=%c&bcc=%b to simulate %r. Or, see the
kmail example on the page for how you pass them separately.

So, for sylpheed, you'd point "open with other application" to the
sylpheed executable and put:

--compose %r

in the param field.

Note that the param field doesn't support quotes. This means that you
can't do:

"argument with spaces"

and have it count as 1 argument. But, this shouldn't be a problem with
%r though as it'll return the mailto URI with all its hfnames and
hfvalues percent-encoded. %t, %s, %m, %b and %c on linux though will
return percent-decoded values for kmail's sake. On Windows, those should
be percent-encoded (most of the time, minus bugs).

Note that with KDE for example, after you set the default mailto handler
in KDE, in Opera, you could set "open with other application" to pass %r
to some kde handler which will then pass it along to the default mail
client (useful for kmail if you just want to pass %r from Opera). I
forgot the name of the kde mailto handler executable. I'll see if I can
dig it up. Others besides KDE might have a similar executable.

--
Michael