[sylpheed:35428] Sylpheed portable (Windows) installation issue

Wolfgang Keller feliphil at gmx.net
Tue Jul 31 05:10:30 JST 2012

Hello,

it seems to me that for portable installations, it is absolutely mandatory that the sylpheed.ini file must be present before Sylpheed is run the very first time. This should be mentioned in the readme. Because in my case it has lead to mail loss.

What I have done:

I had just unzipped a new Sylpheed archive, started the exe and it asked me to create a Mailbox. After fetching mail and closing Sylpheed I noticed I had forgotten to put the sylpheed.ini into the directory. I put the file in the Sylpheed directory, moved the whole directory elsewhere, started Sylpheed again - and nothing worked.

Later, with the help of a text editor, I found out that apparently the *absolute* path to the config directory is hard-written on the first startup (if sylpheed.ini is not present) into at least folderlist.xml and filter.xml (any others?).

Ouch.

Maybe instead of writing those *absolute* paths into those files, Sylpheed should instead always only use *relative* paths everywhere. And write its own Sylpheed.ini on first startup, if it's not already present.

TIA,

Sincerely,

Wolfgang