[sylpheed:34887] Gnome default mail app

Ervin Peters ervin.peters at ervnet.de
Fri Nov 18 19:00:18 JST 2011

Hallo all,

after some updates on my Gentoo/Gnome system I recognized that sylpheed
vanished as prevered mail application. I also recognized that there is
no 'configure custom app' item in the selection list (Upstream design
decision).

After some investigations I fixed that issue by copying

/usr/share/applications/sylpheed.desktop

/usr/share/applications/sylpheeds.desktop

and

changed the 'exec=' line to

exec=sylpheed --compose '%u'

and added a line:

MimeType=x-scheme-handler/mailto

After an 'update-desktop-database' (as root) sylpheed appeared in
the prefered apps. selection.

Suggestions to set up during install:

1. create 2 desktop files as described, sylpheed.desktop and
sylpheed-compose.desktop

2. modify parse_cmd_options in main.c to invoke the compose window by a
parameter which starts with 'mailto:' e.g.:

$ sylpheed 'mailto:ervin.peters at ervnet.de'

and then only add the MimeType Line to the sylpheed.desktop file.

unfortunately I wasn't able to figure out yet, how the sylpheed.desktop
file is created - to make more detailed suggestions.

ervin
--
Ervin Peters
Paul-Klee-Str.10