[sylpheed:34698] Quick search style patch, gtkrc and ml

speps speps at gmx.com
Tue Aug 2 06:15:12 JST 2011

Hi Hiro,

first of all, thanks for this great mail client.
I'm just sad in realizing there is no bug tracker system.
I found some older posts about this topic, and seems like
there is no intention to switch to any bug tracking platform.

Mailing list is surely a good tool too, btw at least would be
better if we had more than a single ml to handle all topics.

It could be more complex, ex
sylpheed-users    -> for any end user question
sylpheed-bugs     -> a place to signal bugs and send patches
sylpheed-requests -> for any feature request

or simpler
sylpheed       -> any end user topic (help, info, functionalities)
sylpheed-devel -> any development related topic (bugs, requests, patches)

This could be a middle solution, but this is just my opinion.

About the subject of this mail.
I'm a dark themes addicted (my eyes are grateful), and I often have to
face with noisy readability issues through applications.

Also sylpheed is affected by this with the quick search entry.
The widget displays a message when there is no text and coloured with a
default gray by modifying the GTK_STATE_NORMAL state for the entry.

#382    gtk_widget_modify_text(entry, GTK_STATE_NORMAL, &dim_color);

The middle gray is a good color for most themes (white and dark). But,
when it get focus, the colour is wrongly restored to the rc style with

#329    gtk_widget_modify_text(entry, GTK_STATE_NORMAL, &text_color);

where text_color is a GdkColor retrieved from the entry style with

#190    style = gtk_widget_get_style(entry);
#191    text_color = style->text[GTK_STATE_NORMAL];

This seems to not work, getting back always a full black {0, 0, 0, 0}
independently from the style.

Obviously, with a dark themes this means unreadable text.
Btw, there is no need use this tricky system to restore back the color,
a simpler

        gtk_widget_modify_text(entry, GTK_STATE_NORMAL, NULL);

do the trick, so all the GtkStyle style and GdkColor text_color can be
removed.

Attached is a patch, already applied on AUR (ARCHLINUX) [1]
I'm the actual maintainer.

At last, as a feature request, it would be nice if sylpheed fetches
for gtkrc file path through the GTK2_RC_FILES default environment
variable, and then fall back to the ~/.gtkrc-2.0 if not found.

Most of the Gtk applications support this standard, so multiple gtkrc
can be stored and applied by executing

GTK2_RC_FILES="/path/to/gtkrc" appname

without modifying the main ~/.gtkrc-2.0 every time is needed.

Regards,
speps