[sylpheed:33955] Re: Filter conundrum

Gene Goldenfeld genegold at fastmail.fm
Tue May 11 09:14:33 JST 2010

On Mon, 10 May 2010 20:49:19 -0300
John Coppens <john at jcoppens.com> wrote:

> On Mon, 10 May 2010 17:24:14 -0600
> Gene Goldenfeld <genegold at fastmail.fm> wrote:
>
> > For example, can someone spot
> > why the following test email could even theoretically be picked up
> > by a filter with all @yahoo.com addresses and go to a folder named
> > Yahoo, instead of the Inbox? I'm completely at a loss.
>
> I suspect the only way to debug such a problem is to have a look at
> your complete filter definition file.
>
> I have over 40 filters defined, on different fields, and never
> experience any problem (at least none which isn't caused by my
> mistakes).

I would agree with you, except when, after posting here, I added a
fastmail.fm filter rule --> Inbox at the bottom of the filter rule
list, the mail filtered properly. That means simply by adding an
unrelated @yahoo filter rule, Sylpheed switched the default folder from
the Inbox to the Yahoo folder.  And continued to do so even after I
deleted that rule, in effect restoring the original state.  If it were a
problem of filter rule definitions, then adding a filter rule at the
bottom of the list shouldn't have affected it.

After that, I decided to reboot the computer to test w/o the
fastmail.fm rule, to see if that would reestablish the Inbox as
default. It did, and thus the specific problem is solved for the
moment.  However, since I've seen filtering oddities with Sylpheed
roughly 15-20 times over the years, requiring various sorts of logical
contortions to get it working correctly, my guess is that there's a bug
or some non-obvious piece of logic in there somewhere.

Gene