[sylpheed:33833] Re: sylpheed debian upgrade conflict

Ricardo Mones mones at debian.org
Sun Mar 28 20:25:07 JST 2010

On Fri, 26 Mar 2010 17:28:16 +0900
IW <iain at holuwon.com> wrote:

> E: /var/cache/apt/archives/sylpheed_3.0.1-0~jaunty0_i386.deb:
> trying to overwrite `/usr/lib/libsylpheed-plugin-0.la', which is
> also in package libsylpheed-0
>
> It looks like a conflict between packages.

  Indeed, but there's no libsylpheed-0 package in Debian, so it looks like a
  Ubuntu specific thing. Maybe you should file a bug in launchpad
  requesting to sync a newer version of the library.

  Package for the separate sylpheed library is libsylph1, and it doesn't
  contain that file: http://packages.debian.org/sid/libsylph1 (see the list
  of files on any architecture)

> Should I try separately upgrading the libsylpheed-0 package first
> and then my
> main sylpheed package? I actually tried that but I may have done
> it wrong. It did not seem to want to happen that way...

  If they have conflicting files you should remove one of them or start
  --force-ing things. The later may bring undesired effects to the scene.

> As an alternative after that, is there some sort of
> "force" option to upgrade the package even if there is a conflict?
> Maybe via the command line?

  man apt, man dpkg...

  HTH,
--