[sylpheed:34023] Re: Sylpheed Digest, Vol 46, Issue 4

Gene Goldenfeld genegold at fastmail.fm
Mon Jun 7 01:30:57 JST 2010

On Sun, 6 Jun 2010 10:38:42 -0400
Casco Bucci <Casco.Bucci at comcast.net> wrote:

> Jean Pierre Vidal <jpxsat at gmail.com> wrote:
>
> > Yeah, i think that it would be great if it would configurable, but
> > to make the program more accesible to new people it should be by
> > default 'fully automatic'.
>
> I agree that it should be the default (and only) behavior.
>
> Why add another level of complexity by adding an additional
> setting?  The new behavior is standard with just about all
> other MUAs except Sylpheed's progeny, Claws-Mail.
>
> The only complaints about not making the new behavior
> configurable are from old Sylpheed and Claws-Mail diehards.

So, let me get this right - and I assume we're talking about address
auto completion here. After many years of Sylpheed, one person
raises the issue of auto completion vs. tab, and now those of us who
would like a choice in the matter are to be treated with contempt as
"old Sylpheed diehards."  Thanks for the respect.

I'm one of those people who almost invariably turns off auto
completion/correction in other applications because I find it seriously
annoying and disruptive of my work.  As for Sylpheed, being someone who
knows how to touch type, a fourth finger tap on the tab key is nothing,
basically instinctive. OTOH, I can see where someone who doesn't know
how to touch type would appreciate the help of auto completion.  As the
saying goes, different strokes...

Gene