[sylpheed:33546] Re: Sylpheed beeps when chang folder

Bob White bob at bob-white.com
Sat Jan 16 01:48:12 JST 2010

On Fri, 15 Jan 2010 14:20:25 +0100
richard lucassen <mailinglists at lucassen.org> wrote:

> On Fri, 15 Jan 2010 11:57:44 +0100
> richard lucassen <mailinglists at lucassen.org> wrote:
>
> > I just upgraded to 3.0.0beta4 (Debian testing) and when I change to
> > another IMAP folder, the computer beeps. E.g.: changing to Inbox: no
> > beep, changing to Sent: beep
> >
> > Can anyone tell me why Sylpheed beeps?
>
> additioo: apararently this only occurs on non-empty folders that have
> the number of unread messages set to zero (IOW: every message set to
> "read")
>
> R.

There was a fairly long discussion about a similar problem in March,
2008.  Here is a short quote from one of the messages posted by Enrico
Tröger:

<quote>
> I have been using Sylpheed for several years but I'm getting trouble
> with a newly installed 2.4.8 version: Sylpheed makes GTK beep when I
> open folders containing *sorted* messages. This happens with any number
> of messages being in the folder (except when the folder is empty).
>
> GTK stops beeping when the messages aren't sorted anymore, i.e. using
> the menu "View -> Sort -> Don't sort".

You can make GTK generally stop beeping by adding the following line
into your ~/.gtkrc-2.0:
gtk-error-bell = 0

Then GTK won't beep anymore(needs a restart of running applications).
But maybe you will miss then some *wanted* beeps, your decision ;-).

Regards,
Enrico
</quote>

I had the problem back then, and I think I used the gtk-error-bell = 0
solution, although after upgrading the OS several times (currently
Ubuntu 9.10), I now don't get the beep nor I have the mod in the gtkrc
file.  For 9.10, the command would go in the ~/.gtkrc.mine file.

Bob W.