[sylpheed:33866] Re: windows version question

Petr Kovar pknbe at volny.cz
Fri Apr 9 05:36:45 JST 2010

Hi!

melodramus at online.de, Thu, 8 Apr 2010 09:15:43 +0200:

> On Tue, 6 Apr 2010 08:48:51 -0400
> Bruce Bowler <bbowler at bigelow.org> wrote:
>
> > Hiro, is there anything we, as users, can do to help spur along
> > development of a version for windows that includes spell checking as a
> > built in feature (personally, I'm not interested in claws)?
> >
> > Bruce
> >
> > --
> > Bruce Bowler <bbowler at bigelow.org>

> On Wed, Apr 7, 2010 at 03:24,  <melodramus at online.de> wrote:
> > hello
> >
> > i'm asking this because there's no info on the website. enchant and gtk
> > + work on windows. does gtkspell work on windows too?
>
> Yes it does work on Windows; Pidgin uses it.
>
> Currently released versions of Pidgin use GtkSpell 2.0.11, which uses
> aspell directly instead of enchant.  There is a binary available for
> download here:
> http://developer.pidgin.im/wiki/BuildingWinPidgin/Pre2.7.0#GtkSpellAspell
>
> The next minor version of Pidgin will use GtkSpell 2.0.16 and enchant.
>  There is a binary available for download here:
> http://developer.pidgin.im/wiki/BuildingWinPidgin#GtkSpell

Thanks for your investigation! For what it's worth, the following link
might be of interest to Windows users as well:

http://aspell.net/win32/

Although, as you can see, the current versions of binary and
dictionaries aren't provided for Windows, unfortunately.

So I guess, after integrating it with Sylpheed, user would need to download
a dictionary for one's language(s) individually from the webpage above.

Cheers,
Petr Kovar