[sylpheed:33860] Compilation problems on Redhat EL 4 (with solutions)

Francois Barriere francois.barriere at atmel.com
Thu Apr 8 00:06:21 JST 2010

Hello,

   I finally compiled Sylpheed 3.0.2 on my (old) RedHat-EL4.
I found the following problems, some are not specific to RedHat and may
be corrected in the autoconf or code part.

The main problem is required minimum version of Glib is 2.4.0 but the code
use in some places functions and macros introduced after the 2.4.0:

     G_IS_DIR_SEPARATOR used in libsylph/utils.c is marked as introduced
     in 2.6.

     g_atomic_int_set() used in src/query_search.c, libsylph/imap.c,
     libsylph/socket.c, libsylph/utils.c, is documented as introduced
     in 2.10

I have added the following lines (after all the includes) in libsylph/utils.c
to define a G_IS_DIR_SEPARATOR macros (it's only valid for UNIX):

#ifndef G_IS_DIR_SEPARATOR
#define G_IS_DIR_SEPARATOR(c) (c == '/') ? TRUE : FALSE
#endif

I have replaced the calls to g_atomic_int_set(&int, value) by 'int=value'
which, according to the glib doc should be a quick and dirty replacement.

I also met a problem with the use of GTK_STOCK_ABOUT in src/rpop3.c, which
is not declared in my case. I don't know if this one has been introduced
in a later version of Gtk+, and I replaced it by GTK_STOCK_HELP.

In any case, if this mail goes through to the list, it means the compiled
binary works...

Francois.

--
   Francois BARRIERE                          ATMEL
                                              Zone Industrielle