[sylpheed:33327] Re: The order of fields when filtering

Gene Goldenfeld genegold at peoplepc.com
Tue Nov 17 13:01:55 JST 2009

Hiroyuki Yamamoto <hiro-y at kcn.ne.jp> wrote:

> > Gene Goldenfeld <genegold at peoplepc.com> wrote:
> >
> > > What is the order of fields that Sylpheed uses in filtering
> > > emails? I'm using Win32 version, but imagine it's standard across
> > > versions. Thanks,
> >
> > Hiro?
>
> Sorry, I cannot figure out what 'the order of fields' means.
> Can you describe it?

>From time to time I've written about my confusion with how the
filtering works, because sometimes the filter seems to be overriden and
the email goes to another folder (usually the Inbox), but the reason
is not apparent.  For example, let's say the *first item in the Filter
list is set as follows: To: contains Yahoo.com --> folder called Yahoo
Mail. Sometimes instead, the yahoo.com email - yahoo.com  goes to the
Inbox. What I'm asking is what's the algorithm for how filtering works
in Sylpheed. Which categories (fields) - From, To, cc, Subject, ... -
does Sylpheed look at first, second, third and so on to make its
decision? Or, to put it the other way, at what point does Sylpheed look
at the To: field, for example, and filter the email on that basis and
not on some other basis?  I hope that's clearer.  Thanks,

Gene