[sylpheed:33104] Re: Sylpheed documentation (was: Sylpheed 2.7.0 released)

Antonio Ospite ospite at studenti.unina.it
Sun Jul 26 07:22:44 JST 2009

On Sat, 25 Jul 2009 19:57:56 +0200
Petr Kovar <pknbe at volny.cz> wrote:

> Hi!
>
> rhubbell <Rhubbell at iHubbell.com>, Thu, 23 Jul 2009 22:32:44 -0700:
>
> > On Thu, 23 Jul 2009 18:43:03 -0400
> > Petr Kovar wrote:
> >
> > --snip--snip--
> >
> > I think we should ask the maintainer of Sylpheed, H. Yamamoto, what
> > document format would have the best chance of being released each time
> > Sylpheed is released.  If the answer is xml then that's what we do.
> > And we start with an translation of the Japanese edition of the html pages
> > using one of the online translators. I'm not a doc expert or even a novice
> > but I'll try to help anyway.  Doing a recursive wget of the translated
> > page would be a starting point.
>
> I very much agree that we need to know Hiro's view on the situation.
> As he follows this list, he'll probably give us some insight as to
> whether he's his own plans for the Sylpheed docs, or whether he seeks
> volunteers help.
>
> Nevertheless, since the said SGML to XML migration has already begun some
> time (well, years) ago, it'd be nothing but a step back to use completely
> deprecated tools like linuxdoc SGML. It should be also said that at the
> end, we need to work with the source documents anyway, as we only export
> the documentation to HTML when we're finished.

If the doc is in any XML format and it is going to be a 1:1 translation
of the Japanese version, then XLIFF can be used as intermediate format
for translators, I've recently come across this very interesting article
about it: http://www.ibm.com/developerworks/xml/library/x-localis2/

--
Antonio Ospite
http://ao2.it