[sylpheed:33032] Re: Followup-To: poster is ignored when replying to Usenet postings

Petr Kovar pknbe at volny.cz
Sat Jul 11 22:35:03 JST 2009

Ahoj!

Joerg Wunsch <j at uriah.heep.sax.de>, Sat, 11 Jul 2009 00:16:25 +0200:

> Ahoj Petr,
>
> dobry vecer a dekuju.

Neni zac. :-)

> > >   IMHO, the default behaviour should be to just send an
> > >   email to the sender of the message (using the standard decision
> > >   chain for emails, i.e. consider reply-to etc.), where the other menu
> > >   items might optionally select something different.
>
> > Well, it probably depends on whether the user has the "Reply button
> > invokes mailing list reply" option in Common Preferences enabled, or
> > not.
>
> Anyway, regardless of what has been selected there, followup-to: poster
> should *never* post to the newsgroup by default (i.e. without user
> interaction -- of course, the user should get an option to override
> the request of the poster).

I think such a behavior is desirable and it'd be nice to have it
implemented in Sylpheed, yes.

> > > . Maybe it would be wise to inform the user (e.g. by a popup box) that
> > >   the message is not going to be sent to the list, but emailed to the
> > >   author instead.  However, hacking that is beyond I would be able to
> > >   do.
>
> > That particular popup box has been already implemented in Sylpheed
> > some time ago. It's optional, though. See the "Confirm recipients
> > before sending" checkbox, also to be found in Common Preferences.
>
> But doesn't that mean the box is always popped up then?

Yes, it does, actually.

> My intention was merely to get a behaviour that I've found in Knews:
> if the article has a followup-to: poster header, but the user misses
> to spot this and tries a normal followup (which would be intended to
> go into the newsgroup), then the program changes the settings to send
> an email to the poster instead, and pops up a box informing the user
> about that.

Then Knews probably doesn't provide a functionality similar to the "Reply
button invokes mailing list reply" option in Sylpheed. Thus it's a little
bit different story, I think.

Let's say Sylpheed would be able to supply the (original) poster's address
automatically, then the popup box before sending the message would display
what was (a) supplied by Sylpheed or (b) intentionally changed by the user
after it. (Who might want to redirect one's message to an address other
than the poster's in some [not so] special cases, and such redirection
should be always possible, as you said above after all.)

Cheers
Petr Kovar