[sylpheed:32829] UTF to ISO-8859-1 code conversion error

Celejar celejar at gmail.com
Wed Jan 21 10:37:01 JST 2009

Hi list and Hiro,

I frequently get this error:

> Code Conversion Error
>
> Can't convert the character encoding of the message body from UTF-8 to ISO-8859-1.
>
> Send it as UTF-8 anyway?

When I select yes, the message is encoded as UTF-8.  What does this
mean?  I seem to see it in at least two different scenarios: when
responding to certain messages with missing or incorrect character
encoding headers, and occasionally when pasting stuff copied from the
web into an outgoing message.

'Common Preferences / Display / Outgoing encoding' is set to 'Automatic
(Recommended).

The problem is discussed here:

but the last message is is over a year old, and the only solution is to
change the aforementioned setting to UTF-8.  This solves the problem,
but is this indeed actually the recommended setting?

I note that something similar was discussed on this list about a year
and a half ago, with regard to ISO-8859-16:

http://www.sraoss.jp/pipermail/sylpheed/2007-April/001097.html

but Hiro seemed to think that he'd solve the problem by adding support
for that particular ISO, which "seems to be relatively new":

http://www.sraoss.jp/pipermail/sylpheed/2007-April/001104.html

ISO-8859-1 certainly isn't new.

Celejar