[sylpheed:32876] Re: problem with quoted-printable encoding and charset iso-8859-1

Celejar celejar at gmail.com
Wed Feb 25 09:49:47 JST 2009

On Tue, 24 Feb 2009 23:10:50 +0100
Colin Leroy <colin at colino.net> wrote:

> On 21 February 2009 at 18h02, Celejar wrote:
>
> Hi,
>
> > Many web browsers and email clients treat the MIME charset ISO-8859-1
> > as Windows-1252 (the extra control codes in ISO-8859-1 are forbidden
> > in HTML anyway), and so codes from it are often seen in web pages that
> > declare their encoding as ISO-8859-1.
>
> This is what we ended up doing in Claws Mail so that it stopped
> annoying our users -- when it became clear Outlook (Express and
> regular) will never be fixed in this aspect.

Apparently Eudora, too, is pretty badly broken with regard to character
encoding:

http://eudorabb.qualcomm.com/printthread.php?t=141&page=2&pp=10
http://eudorabb.qualcomm.com/showthread.php?t=5980
http://tlt.its.psu.edu/suggestions/international/browsers/email.html#eudora

Why do they do this?!  It's bad enough that Microsoft had to
characteristically add proprietary extensions to a standard, and that
the Eudora developers decided to use them, but would it really have been
so difficult for those devs to take the simple step of *correctly*
identifying the encoding as windows-1255?!

Sigh.  I guess this is a case that just begs for the application of
Postel's Robustness Principle:

others."

-- Jon Postel, RFC793

Celejar