[sylpheed:32870] Re: problem with quoted-printable encoding and charset iso-8859-1

Cristian Secară orice at secarica.ro
Sat Feb 21 06:05:36 JST 2009

On Fri, 20 Feb 2009 14:10:41 -0500, Celejar wrote:

> I'm receiving mail with these MIME headers:
> [...]
> The text contains '=20' at the end of every line, which is legitimate
> ('space'), but it also contains scattered '=92', '=93' and '=94'.
> Sylpheed (2.5.0 on Debian) shows the 'unprintable' box glyphs for
> these, apparently because those numbers are undefined in 8859:

These characters (’, “ and ”) are coming from Windows CP1252 8 bit
proprietary encoding and they cannot exist under ISO-8859-1.

> Am interpreting all this correctly?  Is the sending mailer just broken
> and sending bad mail?

It appears yes, the program should warn about the impossible
encoding in the given conditions and offer to switch the encoding as
Unicode instead (or ask the user to correct its text, but it is
unlikely that an average user knows exactly what the precise problem
is).

Cristi

--
Cristian Secară