[sylpheed:32862] Display an e-mail from an arbitrary file

Jan Stępień jan at stepien.cc
Sun Feb 15 08:59:22 JST 2009

Hello,

I'm wondering whether there's a possibility to display an e-mail stored
in a file outside of Sylpheed's mailboxes. What I am thinking of is an
option to enter a path to a file (via File/Open or command line
argument) which would be opened in a MessageView. I tried to experiment
with "--open" argument but it seems that it isn't what I've been
looking for.

Assuming that no such option may exist yet, I've started to browse the
source trying to find a place to begin hacking. Setting
msginfo->file_path field to an e-mail's path at the beginning of
messageview_show function enabled me to force Sylpheed to display any
file that I've pointed it to. Unfortunately without taking care of the
rest of msginfo's fields the e-mail had not been rendered correctly, as
the data that remained in the struct caused some problems. For example,
the character encoding used to be incorect or multi-part messages were
displayed as ordinary ones. Due to lack of knowledge of how to create,
modify and use MsgInfo struct I've been unable to make it work. Having
no available documentation, I've tried to figure it out by browsing the
source but I've came to a conclusion that asking for help here may
speed up the process significantly.

Unless the feature I'm writing about already exists, I'd like to ask you
if you could send me some hints regarding where I should look for
inspiration and what issues should I keep in mind before beginning to
code. Any advice would be very welcome.

Regards,
--
Jan Stępień <jan at stepien.cc>