[sylpheed:32859] Re: UTF to ISO-8859-1 code conversion error

Celejar celejar at gmail.com
Thu Feb 12 12:28:46 JST 2009

On Mon, 9 Feb 2009 14:52:27 +0100
Attila Kinali <attila at kinali.ch> wrote:

> On Tue, 20 Jan 2009 20:37:01 -0500
> Celejar <celejar at gmail.com> wrote:
>
> > > Code Conversion Error
> > >
> > > Can't convert the character encoding of the message body from UTF-8 to ISO-8859-1.
> > >
> > > Send it as UTF-8 anyway?
> >
> > When I select yes, the message is encoded as UTF-8.  What does this
> > mean?
>
> It means that you have ISO8859-1 as default outgoing character set, but

But I *didn't* have ISO-8859-1 as the default outgoing character set; as
I mentioned in my original mail, I had it set to "Automatic
(Recommended)"!  Setting it to "UTF-8" makes the problem go away.

> the mail you are about to send contains characters that are not within
> this character set. The right thing to do then is to press yes and let
> the mail be send out as utf-8.
>
> As for your scenarios. Sylpheed uses a default incoming char set,
> that should be in your case UTF-8 (if not otherwise defined). Hence
> it can happen, if the mail doesnt contain a valid character set
> encoding header field, that you end up with weird characters.
> There is no right way to handle this case, but let the user
> deside what character set the received mail uses.

Thanks for the help, but I don't understand how your explanation
applies to the scenarios I describe.  For concreteness:

1)  Set both encodings to "Automatic"
2)  Create a new mail (not a response to anything) and paste in all the
text from this page: http://www.i18nguy.com/unicode-example.html
3)  Try to send the message

When I do this, I get the above message.  Why?  Where is there any
mention of ISO-8859-1?  Not in Sylpheed, not in the browser.

Celejar