[sylpheed:33386] Re: reversed button order ?

Michael Ross michael.ross at gmx.net
Fri Dec 4 07:00:40 JST 2009

On Thu, 3 Dec 2009 21:32:44 +0200
Cristian Secară <orice at secarica.ro> wrote:

> On Thu, 3 Dec 2009 20:08:22 +0100, Michael Ross wrote:
>
> > It doesn't for me. "Discard" is perfectly placed on the right
> > of this dialog. You close the window: red X in the upper right corner,
> > and a double-check window pops up, with the option you are most likely
> > to choose as close as possible to where your mouse is and where your
> > eyes are.
>
> Not quite. This dialog appears often when I close repetedly a lot of
> opened windows and come to the Sylpheed compose message window which I
> *don't* want to close (happens something like I just click on the X
> accidentally), so in that moment I think "no, cancel" and I click
> mechanically on the place that usually is the Cancel button, except that
> this time I loose the draft.

Happens to me vice versa: I close a Word Document, YesNoCancel pops up
and I press Cancel, because that's where the Discard button should be.
Not as bas as loosing a draft, though.

> Putting menus and buttons in approx the same place across applications
> on a given operating system is an efficiency issue for the user.

Sure, so once I get over my nasty habit of expecting buttons in
non-standard places, I'll be over it platform-wide :)

> (an vague example -- a Linux user expect the Preferences to be
> under Edit, while a Windows user expect the Preferences to be under
> Tools; I am not saying which one is better, but is best to keep a
> consistency, at least on same OS)

I just did a quick check on a few apps I regularly use, and I have
Preferences or Settings or Einstellungen as it is called in the
localized apps under "File", "Tools", "Extras" and "Edit", that is,
nearly everywhere. So I do remember the locations by application.
Shouldn't have to, but do.
I expect them in "Edit", as in "edit->preferences". I look there first
if I have to search, while I *know* they *should* be in "Extras" (this
might be "Tools" in non-localized Windows?).

Not arguing your point, just chatting:

Michael