[sylpheed:32670] Re: line wrapping

Gene Goldenfeld genegold at peoplepc.com
Mon Oct 6 00:40:12 JST 2008

Dennis Nezic <dennisn at dennisn.dyndns.org> wrote:

> Nope :). Those options just disable wrapping altogether (or make them
> wrap at 9999 characters).
>
> What I have tried doing is disabling the wrapping of quotations, and
> then just prefixing long words with ">", but that's ugly, and makes
> replies look ugly too.

What you've identified is nothing new for sylpheed users; it's one of
those can you live with it issues.  Even headers copied within sylpheed
have to be reformatted. I've never come across any other email client
that parses lines this way, tho others say there are some. It'd be
nice if someone with the technical expertise and interest looked into
it. In the meantime, here's what Hiro had to say about it last October:

"Sylpheed relies on the Pango's line break feature. Sylpheed asks to
Pango for possible line-breaking positions. As far as I tested, it
seems that Pango considers in front of euro sign (and other symbols) as
line-breakable position. To solve this, some characters might be
handled as special cases. But it can also possible that my usage of
Pango is wrong :) "