[sylpheed:32701] Re: Sylpheed in Ubuntu 8.10 Intrepid Ibex & libbluetooth.so.3

John Shane jslists at mtwafrica.org
Mon Nov 3 01:56:07 JST 2008

On Sun, 2 Nov 2008 15:59:52 +0100
Joachim Selinger <selinger at bawue.de> wrote:

> Hello John!
>
> On Sun, 2 Nov 2008 15:58:45 +0200
> John Shane <jslists at mtwafrica.org> wrote:
>
> JS> Has anyone else run into this?  I upgraded to Xubuntu/Ubuntu
> JS> 8.10 and then tried to install/run Sylpheed (both 2.5.0 and
> JS> 2.6.0beta1).  All I got was an error message about
> JS> libbluetooth.so.2 shared library not being available. Some
> JS> poking around indicated Xubuntu 8.10 uses libbluetooth.so.3.  I
> JS> created a symbolic link for so.2 pointing to so.3 and Sylpheed
> JS> was happy.  Adjustment needed somewhere? John
>
> Ahem, I'm running Ubuntu 8.10 and use the included Sylpheed 2.5.0
> without a hitch. I just looked and I see that sylpheed is happily
> using libbluetooth version 3.
>
> Which pacakge did you use for sylpheed?
>
> Greetings
> Jocki

Thanks for the reply.  The issue is likely related to the fact that I
did not use the version of Sylpheed in the 8.10 repositories.  (When I
tried that it wanted to install Claws as well and I didn't want to go
down that road.)  I used a .deb I had made earlier on my then Hardy
8.04 system from the source code downloaded from the Sylpheed web
site.

John