[sylpheed:32023] Delete on server?

Kevin Horton khorton01 at rogers.com
Mon Jan 14 10:39:07 JST 2008

I am hoping to find a way to delete mail messages on a POP server
when I delete them from Sylpheed.  During the day, I will read
messages from several different computers.  I will delete the
messages that are no longer relevant, and I have my other clients set
up to delete these messages from the server, so I don't get them
again when I check e-mail using a different computer.  If I am at
work, I use connect via ssh to an sylpheed instance on my home
computer.  That works very well, except I cannot delete messages on
the server.

When this question has come up in the past, the responses have
typically been:

1. Your problem is better suited to IMAP than POP.  Switch to IMAP.

2. The UNIX way is to have small tools, with each tool designed to do
a simple task.  Sylpheed is a mail reader, not a mail deleter.  Use a
different tool.

IMAP is not a good option for me, as the only ISP that offers high
speed internet in my area does not offer IMAP.  And, I travel a lot,
and need to be able to quickly download messages to my laptop, then
disconnect from the net, read and reply to messages, then connect and
send my replies.

So, in the spirit of UNIX, which other tools could I use to delete
messages on the POP server when I delete them from Sylpheed?  I
assume that this must be possible, otherwise this suggestion would
not be the standard response to this feature request.

Or, is there another e-mail reader that works as nicely and quickly
as Sylpheed, but also knows how to delete messages from a POP server
upon command?  I have tried Evolution, but its GUI responds very
slowly when used over the slow ssh connection from work to home.

Thanks,
--
Kevin Horton
Ottawa, Canada