[sylpheed:32797] Re: RPM Maintainer

Michael Schwendt mschwendt at gmail.com
Mon Dec 22 18:19:37 JST 2008

On Mon, 22 Dec 2008 00:28:58 -0500, Robert wrote:

> Hi folks.
>
> I was just wondering if there were plans to maintain an RPM archive of Sylpheed somewhere by someone?

Questionable benefit, IMO.

Source RPM files cannot be platform-independent yet unless you fill the
RPM .spec script with many conditional sections that make it harder to
maintain. The various Linux distributions, which use RPM, differ in
packaging details. For example: different package names, custom RPM macros,
customisation/integration patches.

Binary RPM builds of Sylpheed will only be portable to target
distributions that provide a matching set of library releases, ABI,
and strict dependencies. Users, who don't get Sylpheed packages
for their favourite distribution, will be disappointed by failed
installation attempts.