[sylpheed:32586] Re: sylpheed crashes when sending mail

Enrico Tröger enrico.troeger at uvena.de
Fri Aug 22 06:47:59 JST 2008

On Thu, 21 Aug 2008 21:59:13 +0200, Michael Schwendt
<mschwendt at gmail.com> wrote:

> On Thu, 21 Aug 2008 21:18:44 +0200, Eike Nicklas wrote:
>
> > Hi all,
> >
> > On Thu, 21 Aug 2008 12:40:38 +0200 Mario Wehbrink wrote:
> > >
> > > since ?? days sylpheed 2.5.0 crashes under debian testing.
> > >

> > Just as a sidenote: I also run sylpheed 2.5.0 on debian testing
> > (i386) and have not experienced any problems so far...
>
> It is glib2 that crashes according to the backtrace (which is

I wouldn't say it's glib2. It's just the only code path visible in the
backtrace but that doesn't mean much.

> sylpheed). It's a questionable backtrace, because it shows no
> code path from within sylpheed.

Yeah, the backtrace is not very useful. I got a similar backtrace after
I manually upgraded libenchant on my system to its current development
version, it took me some time to find out that it was libenchant which
made Sylpheed crashing when composing a mail ;-).

@Mario: build sylpheed from source with debugging symbols enabled,
trigger the crash and then check the backtrace. And/or install the gtk2
and glib2 dbg packages of Debian.

Try to remember which packages you upgraded when it first happens and
if they could be related to Sylpheed in any way. I know this is a hard
task but it'd be helpful if you can't get a meaningful backtrace.

Regards,
Enrico