[sylpheed:32574] Re: Gmail anyone?

sm0oojzz+sylph at fastimap.com sm0oojzz+sylph at fastimap.com
Fri Aug 15 23:07:54 JST 2008

On Thu, 14 Aug 2008 18:37:07 -0400
joe at hostedcontent.com wrote:

> Gene Goldenfeld wrote:
> > Yes, I can see that the server wouldn't know what the existing folders
> > are.  However, looking at fastmail.fm's email client setup instructions
> > - http://www.fastmail.fm/docs/faqparts/ExternalMail.htm#ExternalAccess
> > (item 2) - it looks like folders can be created in the email client,
> > since setting up IMAP there creates the usual default folders, which I
> > assume the server then recognizes. Or does it?   Once folders in IMAP
> > are set up, however it happens, can old POP messages be copied or
> > exported over, or do they have to be forwarded to the new account?
> > Thanks.
> >

> Yes, you should be able to drag and drop your old folders on to the imap
> account setup within your client and those emails will now be on the
> imap server.

You can set up folders on the IMAP server by using your email client or by logging into your account though the webmail interface.  You can copy or transfer any local messages into the folders on the IMAP server from inside your mail client.  I would not recommend drag/drop folders from your local client to the server in case all info does not move over to the server for some reason.  If you copy things over, you can then check to make sure what you expect to be on the server is truly there.  Then you can delete your local data if you so choose.

Open a free account and try things out.  If you don't like it, abandon it.

--
John