[sylpheed:32544] Re: Rendered HTML messages

Paul claws at thewildbeast.co.uk
Sun Aug 3 23:24:59 JST 2008

On Sun, 3 Aug 2008 08:06:15 -0600
Bob White <bob at bob-white.com> wrote:

> Is that a Windows concern?  I've never worried about loading images
> from an HTML page on Linux.  Am I doing something that's riskier than I
> think it is?

That depends. For example, some spam mail includes specially coded img tags in
html mail which serve to indicate in some way that a spam message has been
received, possibly the recipient of the spam message is revealed by loading
the remote image too. Personally I'm cautious about spam messages, but mostly
they are just stopped at the server or filtered in to my local spam folder,
and here just a quick look at the message list, (From header), is enough to
determine false positives. So, I would say that regardless of the operating
system, you can become a victim of spam or phishing mails, although the risks
are probably greater if you use certain m$ products.

best regards

Paul

--
It isn't worth a nickel to two guys like you or me,
but to a collector it is worth a fortune