[sylpheed:32175] who's the problem with the name encoding

Cristian Secară orice at secarica.ro
Mon Apr 7 08:28:51 JST 2008

When sending a message, the sender displayed name (i.e. my name) is
Cristian Secară. This is utf-8 encoded, so Sylpheed generate the
header like this
From: Cristian =?UTF-8?B?U2VjYXLEgw==?= <etc.>

Problem: someone who use Alpine email client observed that my name
appears with no space inbetween, that is
CristianSecară <etc.>
If, before sending, I surround my name in quotation marks (manually),
the name then shows correctly on that email client.
The same apply if the encoding is ISO-8859-2.

During my tests I observed that other email systems uses different
encoding scheme.
Sent with Google mail, my name is encoded
To: =?UTF-8?Q?Cristian_Secar=C4=83?= <etc.>
Sent with Outlook, my name is encoded
To: =?utf-8?B?Q3Jpc3RpYW4gU2VjYXLEgw==?= <etc.>

In both of the above cases my name is correctly displayed on that
client, no matter if quotation marks are included or not.
My question is -- who's wrong ? Should Sylpheed use another encoding
scheme, or is a bug in that Alpine email client ?

Cristi

--
Cristian Secară
http://www.secarica.ro/