[sylpheed:31854] Re: Moving mail to new machine

John Jason Jordan johnxj at comcast.net
Mon Oct 22 02:42:48 JST 2007

On Sun, 21 Oct 2007 10:11:48 -0600
Bob White <bob at bob-white.com> wrote:

> On Sun, 21 Oct 2007 01:01:46 -0700
> John Jason Jordan <johnxj at comcast.net> wrote:

> > However, it did not help. I still cannot read or write to the
> > mailboxes. I don't think it has anything to do with permissions. I
> > think Sylpheed is looking for the mailboxes in the wrong folder.
> > But I can't find any setting that lets me indicate a location for
> > the mailboxes folder.

> The folder is set in the menu item File -> Mailbox -> Add Mailbox
>
> Put the proper folder in the text box and if that's the problem, you
> should be in business.

Bob,

Thanks, that helped. Now I can get and send mail. However, there are
two problems remaining:

1) Before telling it where the mailboxes folder was I tried Rebuild
Folder Tree. That was a mistake! All my saved e-mails and the folders
they were in disappeared! However, I think the list of folders was only
from a config file somewhere, because none of the e-mails that were
saved in any of the folders could be viewed. Luckily, the original
folders, files and configuration files are still on the old partition,
plus I backed up the entire ~/ folder to DVDs the other day, so I can
start over.

2) When I did File > Mailbox > Add Mailbox, I noted that in ~/ I have
one labeled /Mailboxes and one labeled /Mail. I chose ~/Mailboxes, and
it created a whole new hierarchy, but did not restore the missing
folders and the e-mails saved in them. The computer is Ubuntu Gutsy
amd64. I think it automatically installs Evolution, and one of those
folders may be for Evolution. As far as I know, you don't have to use
Evolution, but it cannot be deleted because it is part of Gnome or
something.

Getting closer!