[sylpheed:31845] Re: Moving mail to new machine

Bob White bob at bob-white.com
Sun Oct 21 12:58:45 JST 2007

On Sat, 20 Oct 2007 16:52:07 -0700
John Jason Jordan <johnxj at comcast.net> wrote:

> I have been using Sylpheed for a couple years under Ubuntu amd64,
> starting with Hoary. I currently can no longer boot the computer due to
> a hard disk problem, although I do have a full system backup from just
> a couple days earlier. The only upgrades I have ever made were whatever
> came into the Ubuntu repositories, but since I can't boot the old
> system I don't know for sure what version I had.
>
> I have created a new installation of Ubuntu Gutsy amd64 and have
> installed Sylpheed 2.4.5. I copied the ~/Mailboxes folder, as well
> as .claw and .sylpheed-2.-0. It all appears fine, except when I try to
> get new messages it logs into the server, finds the number of new
> messages, then pops up an error message "Can't write file."
>
> I'm also afraid it won't be able to send this message, but if it
> appears on the list, at least y'all will know that part is working.
> Probably something is missing, but I need help figuring out what it is.

Hi John,

When you copied your files from the backup they undoubtedly had
different owner and group ID's.  From a terminal window
'chown -R username.group Mailboxfolder'

Do the same for the other affected folders.  You may need to use sudo
to make the changes, i.e.
'sudo chown -R username.group Mailboxfolder'

Usually the username and group will be the same but you can see what
the other files in your installation are set at with 'ls -l'

The message got to the list, but probably not to your sent folder. :)

Bob W.