[sylpheed:31896] Re: SSL certificate verify failed

André Costa blueser at gmail.com
Fri Nov 9 19:53:54 JST 2007

Replying to myself...

On Nov 9, 2007 8:24 AM, André Costa <blueser at gmail.com> wrote:
> Hi,
>

> On Nov 4, 2007 4:58 PM, Casco Bucci <Casco.Bucci at comcast.net> wrote:
> > On Sat, 3 Nov 2007 18:35:05 +0100
> > Petr Kovar <pknbe at volny.cz> wrote:

> > > See the README-win32.txt within the Sylpheed installation directory.
> > > Read especially the bottom part.
> > >
> > > Regards,
> > > Petr Kovar
> > >

> > Good day and thank you Petr!
> >
> > I think this would do the trick -- just have to figure out how to
> > download the certificate from the POP3 server.
> >
> > Any ideas?
> >
> > Thank you again.
>
> That interests me as well =) Could anyone post pointers to instructions?
>
> Regards,
>
> Andre

I found this page with many instructions to dealing with SSL
certificates (none of them specific to sylpheed, but nevertheless
useful):

http://freshmeat.net/articles/view/1673/

There they list this command to obtain GMail's certificate:

openssl s_client -connect smtp.gmail.com:995 -showcerts

and it seems to work: if I point it to my office's POP server it spits
lots of info, among them some identical to the contents of the .crt
files under /usr/share/ca-certificates on Ubuntu.

However, I tried this with my office's sefl-signed certificate, and it
didn't work =( I saved the

-----BEGIN CERTIFICATE-----
MIID6zCCA1SgAwIBAgIBADANBgkqhkiG9w0BAQQFADCBsDELMAkGA1UEBhMCQlIx
-----END CERTIFICATE-----

on a .crt file on ~/.sylpheed-2.0/certs file (say, MyOffice.crt), but
Sylpheed still asked me if I would accept the self-signed certificate.

What did I do wrong? Should the .crt file have a specific file name?
Should I have any specific packages installed on Ubuntu? Hiro
mentioned that "ca-certificates packages should be installed", but
apt-get doesn't know of any such package...

TIA

Andre