[sylpheed:31884] Re: SSL certificate verify failed

John Jason Jordan johnxj at comcast.net
Thu Nov 1 13:55:11 JST 2007

On Thu, 1 Nov 2007 10:32:44 +0900
Hiroyuki Yamamoto <hiro-y at kcn.ne.jp> dijo:

> > While at the university yesterday the Linux help desk people tried
> > valiantly to make the message go away, but we couldn't find a setting
> > that fixed it. The problem is only an annoyance. Still, it never used
> > to happen, so something changed during the fresh install that didn't
> > get copied over when I copied my ~/ folder to the new computer
> > (including the Sylpheed configuration files).
> >
> > Any suggestions?

> If ca-certificates package is not installed, please install it.
> Sylpheed uses the certificates if available. If the server certificate
> is private one, locally install it (~/.sylpheed-2.0/certs/).

Thanks. That is sort of what I found here:

http://www.melvilletheatre.com/articles/sylpheed-gmail/index.html

I followed the instructions there, but it still pops up the warning about the certificate. You said "if the server certificate is private one, locally install it." I can't tell if it is a private one or not, and I don't know how to install it, other than to copy it into the ~/.Sylpheed-2.0/certs folder. The exact error message I get is this:

Server certificate:
  Subject: /C=US/ST=Oregon/L=Portland/O=Portland State University/OU=Office of Information Technologies/CN=mailhost.pdx.edu
  Issuer: /C=ZA/ST=Western Cape/L=Cape Town/O=Thawte Consulting cc/OU=Certification Services Division/CN=Thawte Premium Server CA/emailAddress=premium-server at thawte.com

Any further suggestions?