[sylpheed:31882] SSL certificate verify failed

John Jason Jordan johnxj at comcast.net
Thu Nov 1 03:12:55 JST 2007

Copied and pasted from Help > About:
Sylpheed version 2.4.5, GTK+ 2.12.0 / GLib 2.14.1, Operating System:
Linux 2.6.22-14-generic (x86_64), Compiled-in features: IPv6 iconv
compface GnuPG OpenSSL LDAP JPilot GtkSpell.

I have used Sylpheed since Ubuntu Hoary amd64 over two years ago. I
recently bought a new computer, installed Gutsy amd64 as a fresh
install, installed the current version of Sylpheed from Synaptic
(2.4.5), copied my entire ~/ folder, and got it working the same as it
was before. I had an issue with it not finding the mailboxes, but
thanks to recent help here I have that sorted and all is well.

However, I have another problem. I am a graduate student at Portland
State University. While on campus I cannot send e-mail unless I send it
through mailhost.pdxd.edu. This is no problem, and it works from other
locations as well, including home where I have a cable connection.
However, after installing the fresh version of Gutsy and Sylpheed,
every time I go to send mail I get a popup saying "SSL certificate
verify failed." This message pops up the first time I try sending mail
after restarting the computer. I can click on OK to accept the
certificate, and it sends the mail fine. Afterwards the message no
longer pops up when sending mail until I restart the computer again.

While at the university yesterday the Linux help desk people tried
valiantly to make the message go away, but we couldn't find a setting
that fixed it. The problem is only an annoyance. Still, it never used
to happen, so something changed during the fresh install that didn't
get copied over when I copied my ~/ folder to the new computer
(including the Sylpheed configuration files).

Any suggestions?