[sylpheed:31289] Re: PGP/MIME-signing breaks sig delimiter

Godwin Stewart gstewart at bonivet.net
Sat May 12 03:43:10 JST 2007

On Fri, 11 May 2007 20:09:54 +0200, "Michael Schwendt"
<mschwendt at gmail.com> wrote:

> > The attached patch makes libsylph chomp whitespace off the end of
> > all lines *except* the .sig delimiter.
>
> That's the brute-force work-around which defeats the original purpose
> of the whitespace-stripping. I wonder what exactly the stripping tries
> to achieve? Is it done just because of the comment in RFC2015?

It makes you wonder.

The only relevant mention of the word "space" in the RFC is this:

     & Also, in some cases it might be desirable to encode any   =20
     &railing whitespace that occurs on lines in order to ensure  =20
     & that the message signature is not invalidated when passing =20
     & a gateway that modifies such whitespace (like BITNET). =20

I really don't think that is a problem nowadays. Sylpheed is a mail and
news client that will only be interacting with gateways that do not
make such modifications unless you're talking about the fraction of a
percent of archaic software still out there in the wild.

Personally, I'd be all for not stripping EOL whitespace at all. In the
interim, there's the "brute force" kludge provided by my patch (against
sylpheed-2.4.1, incidentally) that restores a correct .sig delimiter in
signed messages.

Speaking of which... It looks like the listserv is doing something to
the mails it's redistributing. My previous mail containing the patch
checked out ok in my "sent" folder, but the copy I received back had
[application/pgp-signature (BAD signature)].

G. Stewart - gstewart at bonivet.net

The journey of a thousand miles begins with a broken fan belt and a
leaky tyre.