[sylpheed:31645] Re: adding an Instant Messenger to sylpheed to offer it to openoffice

Michael Schmidt schmidtm524 at googlemail.com
Sun Aug 19 03:24:58 JST 2007

On 8/18/07, N.Novozhilov <nna at darim.com> wrote:
> That is not so good idea, I think.
> I'm using PIDGIN for online communications under Linux and Miranda
> under Windows (home comp), and both are working very well.
>
> BTW, GUI language is GTK, which you have to install for using Sylpeed.

thanks for the quick feedback,

why is it in your eyes not a good idea? and which do you mean?
Pidgin and Miranda are very good, yes, but not serverless and do not
offer email and do not offer a secure synchronization of OOo Documents
among collaborating teammembers.

I guess you have not followed the Thunderbird discussion,

Mozilla opened the discussion of outsourcing Thunderbird,
The result is a new company for Thunderbird and a new roadmap for thunderbird:
With Instant Messaging and Jabber.

One focus was, to get Thunderbird to OpenOffice,org as OOo needs an
email client and as well an Instant Messenger.

OOo contacted for that already the serverless messenger:
http://sourceforge.net/forum/forum.php?thread_id=1753227&forum_id=618174

Read the history here:
http://weblogs.mozillazine.org/mitchell/
http://scott-macgregor.org/blog/
http://blog.mozilla.com/bienvenu
http://weblogs.mozillazine.org/calendar/2007/08/the_future_of_lightning_after.html
thunderbird mailinglist
and open office dev mailinglist

So the question is, how to get an email client with instant messaging to OOo,

Your Sylpheed Mail is quite comfortable and could integrate the Messenger
function of the new serverless messenger

As it is just a project under one gui, we could soon offer this
Mail-Messenger ad THE component of OOo and distribute it with it.

So... would it be possible to add the
rs core to your Sylpheed gui quick**? Just the main frames:
login/creat account, friendslist, personal chat window, file browse,
options for adjusting the router.

That´s all..

** http://marketing.openoffice.org/ooocon2007/programme/thursday_abstracts.html#a70

(1) RS IM in the mailclient would offer secure file transfer and
syncronization, this would be a good application for OOo-users working
on common documents. So they can send it safe and secure to other
users.

as rs is an IM, there is no need to add IM to RS.
ATM only googleMail as googleTalk (messenger) integrated, both is webbased,

Now the community needs an desktop client, saving all data on the hard
disc of the users and not at google or a central server, that brings
online (presence, IM) and offline (email) communication together.

(2) So soon with Thunderbird Online and Offline Communication is under one hood.
This will be soon the market standard, to send online and offline
email. IQC offers offline messages as well, but you cannot send any
attachment like in emails.

(3) Sylpheed mail could be quick with it and distribute it over OOo and a
Component. There is really the need for a Messenger and Email client
and third a secure file transfer for collaborating teams.

(4) see the Rs RFC in the Forum. email 2.0 is defined as email not
only to "@" adresses, but as well to PGP-Adresses serverless (this is
the way, email in RS works). So soon you well be able to send email
serverless to PGP adresses!! If you defined them before in your
friendslist / adressbook. this is a whole new definition of email and
Sylpheed should be part of it! So the new serverless protocol (rs)
could offers this in combination with Sylpheed client, see the RS RFC
in the forum.

As this is just a simple gui question and the OOo people alread
knocked on rs doors, we could then offer the mail-messenger, as the
amalgamation of Sylpheed+RS.

Regards.