[sylpheed:31226] Re: Interested user questions

John Coppens john at jcoppens.com
Mon Apr 30 01:53:49 JST 2007

On Sat, 28 Apr 2007 21:36:15 -0400
Jeffrey Needle <jeff.needle at gmail.com> wrote:

> Thanks for the info.  I have been using so many clients, trying them
> out.  I've consistently had good luck with the newsgroup sections of
> Outlook Express, Thunderbird and Opera.  No delay when reading
> newsgroups.  Perhaps our "hero" can figure it out <grin>.

Just a suspicion, but I'm guessing that some programs are pre-fetching
the messages from the newslist to your computer (that's why the number
of messages is programmable). Sylpheed doesn't - it only fetches the
message you select, and at the moment of selection.

Is this an advantage? Yes and no. If you're only interested in a few
messages or threads on a busy newlist, there's no reason do pre-fetch all
the other mail and have it in your computer.

There _is_ a cache though, so going back to a previously fetched message
is fast.

John