[sylpheed:30064] Re: Sylpheed asked about charset conversion even in automatic setting

Hiroyuki Yamamoto hiro-y at kcn.ne.jp
Mon Sep 25 09:45:05 JST 2006

Hello,

On Sat, 23 Sep 2006 11:39:04 -0300
Ricardo Nabinger Sanchez <rnsanchez at wait4.org> wrote:

> Before composing a message that I know it would contain UTF-8
> characters, I configured Sylpheed to choose the outgoing charset
> automatically, in Configuration > Common Preferences > Display >
> Encoding.
>
> Basically, I set it to use "Western Europe" as default charset (to be
> used when no charset is specified), and "Automatic" for the outgoing
> charset.
>
> I thought it would be enough to send a message in UTF-8, but Sylpheed
> asked me what to do when I hit the Send button.  Am I overlooking
> something?

If "Automatic" outgoing encoding is set, Sylpheed first try to convert
the text to the language-specific encoding (ex. ISO-8859-1). If it
fails, Sylpheed asks users whether to send it as UTF-8.

If you always want to send messages with UTF-8, specify UTF-8 for
outgoing encoding.

--
Hiroyuki Yamamoto <hiro-y at kcn.ne.jp>