[sylpheed:30320] Re: junk filtering not automatic

Bruce Bowler bbowler at bigelow.org
Tue Oct 31 22:12:41 JST 2006

On Tue, 31 Oct 2006 06:19:51 -0500
Seth Kurtzberg <seth at cql.com> put fingers to keyboard and said:

> If the feedback said "well, I personally don't care about it, but it
> would be an enhancement to the tool" that would be one thing.

As an IMAP user, I can say that at one point I wanted better filtering of
IMAP in sylpheed.  After thinking about it a bit more, I decided that I
didn't care (and that if it was there I wouldn't use it.)

The reason?  I use IMAP because I access my mail from *lots* of different
non-LAN connected machines using lots of different clients.  I would need
to implement the filters on all of those different clients in order to
avoid confusion.  Instead, I filter where the mail is stored.  We use
exim as our MTA here which has filtering capabilities that work for me.
I realize that I'm only one voice with, perhaps, a different set of needs
and tools that most, but that approach works for me.

Having said that, if you want to do it, go for it.  As others have said,
that's the free software way.