[sylpheed:30267] Re: ever-changing spam filtering

Marty Huntzberry linuxhippy at verizon.net
Sat Oct 28 22:03:50 JST 2006

bogofilter looks good.  Can I integrate it with Sylpheed?  How do you use it?

Marty

On Fri, 27 Oct 2006 21:26:39 -0600
Bob White <bob at bob-white.com> wrote:

On Fri, 27 Oct 2006 23:17:45 -0400
Marty Huntzberry <linuxhippy at verizon.net> wrote:

> Hello!  I have used Sylpheed in Linux for years and think it's great.  Currently I have Sypheed 2.2.9 running on my Fedora Core Linux pc and my
> Slackware laptop.  I've also started getting a lot of spam over the last couple months that originate from different addresses and have key words not
> spelled correctly.  I see that Sylpheed can create filter rules for emails....how would I create rules for ever-changing spam?
>
> Marty

Hi Marty,

Have you tried bogofilter?  Quote from bogofilter home page:
http://bogofilter.sourceforge.net/

"Bogofilter is a mail filter that classifies mail as spam or ham
(non-spam) by a statistical analysis of the message's header and
content (body). The program is able to learn from the user's
classifications and corrections."

I've had pretty good luck with it with the most difficult spam being
that with a big page of random text.  I get over 90% of the spam and
very seldom get a valid message classified as spam.  (Just often
enough that I have to scan the spams before deleting.)

Bob W.