[sylpheed:30613] Re: some tutorial about using the spam filter ?

Gene Goldenfeld genegold at highstream.net
Sat Dec 23 05:17:52 JST 2006

Stefaan A Eeckels <Stefaan.Eeckels at ecc.lu> wrote:

>On Fri, 22 Dec 2006 10:26:48 -0600
>Gene Goldenfeld <genegold at highstream.net> wrote:
>
>>  One thing I've never
>> understood is if one has to look every time anyway, why not use a
>> front end app like Mailwasher (free or Pro)?
>
>No filter is 100% reliable. If you decide to use Mailwasher you'll also
>have false negatives and false positives. The advantage of bogofilter
>(which I use centrally at my incoming MTA) is that it is trained with
>the SPAM, and more importantly the HAM you get. It's also a
>disadvantage because you need to train it, and as long as it isn't
>well trained, its ability to distinguish between HAM and SPAM can be
>less than a non-bayesian filter.

I'm not sure about Mailwasher Pro, but with the free version I just go
through the emails on screen and eliminate the spam and others,
marking them appropriately, so they never make it to Sylpheed.  A
different approach if one is going to have to go one by one anyway.
What got me interested in the subject again was the question about the
bogo tutorial and the reply as to where the bsw*.exe file is
located. I can't find it anywhere within the RC version folders.
Anyone be more specific?

Gene