[sylpheed:30495] problem with user specified encoding when replaying

Cristian Secară orice at secarica.ro
Wed Dec 6 08:15:32 JST 2006

Assume the following scenario: an UTF-8 encoded message is sent using
ISO-8859-1 charset declaration.
This is a real situation with e-mails sent from Yahoo Mail (the standard
interface) or Yahoo Groups, because Yahoo declares the ISO-8859-1
encoding for all outgoing messages, regardless the actual encoding of
the message (which depends on the default or instant user selected
browser encoding).

Problem:
- by default, the message is displayed with some garbage (which
is correct for the given situation)
- I force UTF-8 encoding from View menu
- the message is now displayed correctly
- I hit "Reply"
- the quoted message is again garbaged, ignoring my instant manually
selected encoding preference
- my own message will be written according to the default encoding
(UTF-8 in my case), or my instant encoding selection at the time of
writing; my own message will be correct, but the problem is that the
quoted text remains wrong, with no possibility for the recipient to
force a correct display for the quoted zone

Expected behaviour: the quoted text should follow the encoding that
happen to be at the time of hiting the Reply button. If it was
correct without any intervention, let it be correct. If it was wrong
without any intervention, let it be wrong. If it was manually
corrected, then let it be as it becomes after the manual selected
status.

Cristi

--
Cristian Secară