[sylpheed:30474] Address management wish list

Don Koch aardvark at krl.com
Sat Dec 2 01:17:03 JST 2006

While we're on the subject of features (like we ever aren't?), a few
of features I'd like to see for the Address Book:

1. Put the address book configuration on a separate thread.  Even when
you right click on an address and "Add to address book...", it puts the
address in, but you have to manually type in the full name and such.
If it was on a separate thread, you could cut and paste in the values
from the existing mail.

2. When doing said "Add to address book...", it would be nice if it
could figure out name by context (at least, from the header fields).
E.g., if the From: line reads "From: Joe L. User <juser at example.com>",
add to address book would put juser at example.com in the address field
and "Joe L. User" in the name field; currently, it puts the email
address in both (at least at rev.2.2.9).

3. On a per folder basis, automatically check if the From: user is in
the address book and, if not, enter it automatically (exmh does this).
Extra points: if the user is in the list, update the "last date seen"
if the mail date is newer than the current "last date seen."  Needs to
be on a per-folder basis - one usually wants addresses added from one's
inbox, but not from the mailing lists one has forwarded into the mailing
list's folder (i.e., I care about my friends and associates who send
me mail directly and not about you guys :) ).

I can see dumping the last one as it is the hardest to implement and has
the least amount of payback.  (I know I was always culling out addresses
from spambots that made it through to my inbox - and that's despite the
fact that mail only goes to my inbox if it is addressed or cc'ed to me.)

-d