[pgpool-general: 6146] Re: What happens when node is assigned as shutdown

Pierre Timmermans ptim007 at yahoo.com
Tue Jun 26 23:20:34 JST 2018

Note that if standby node fails and if load_balance_node is off, then the pgpool connection will not be disrupted by the failover happening on the standby (at least with recent version of pgpool): this is documented in the doc and I can confirm that it is working in my tests.
In all other cases the backend connection will be disconnected and I suppose the client will receive an error and the query result will be lost
Pierre

    On Tuesday, June 26, 2018, 3:35:41 PM GMT+2, Mariel Cherkassky <mariel.cherkassky at gmail.com> wrote:

 The moment the pool assign the shutdown status to a specific node all active session to that node are closed immediatly ?
> Hi,
> I wanted to understand what happens to a session that was opened from the
> pool to   one of the nodes in my cluster (query that is taking x time).
> Suddenly there was a network conflict between the pool node and the
> database node and the pool change the status of the database node to
> shutdown(the node is slave). What happens to the query that runned ? What
> happens to the session that was open ?

The session will be closed. This is pretty much similar when you
directly connect to PostgreSQL.

> Will the output of the query will
> come back to the user ?

Though it really depends on the timing of failure, probably the output
of the query will not come bacl to the user in most cases.

Best regards,
--
Tatsuo Ishii
SRA OSS, Inc. Japan