[pgpool-general: 5884] Re: Pgpool-3.7.1 segmentation fault

Tatsuo Ishii ishii at sraoss.co.jp
Wed Jan 24 07:49:00 JST 2018

Hi Philip,

> Hello poolers,
>
> I've compiled pgpool-3.7.1 (./configure --with-openssl; libpq.5.9), for
> Ubuntu 14.04, to connect to RDS Aurora Postgres (9.6.3). When I try to
> authenticate, pgpool child process segfaults. My config file follows the
> instructions set forth by the aurora instructions
> <http://www.pgpool.net/docs/latest/en/html/example-aurora.html>, I think?
> Have I misconfigured something, to cause this segfault?
>
> Any guidance would be appreciated!
>
> Thanks,
> Philip
>

> $ psql -h localhost -U user staging
> Password for user user:
> psql: server closed the connection unexpectedly
>         This probably means the server terminated abnormally
>         before or while processing the request.

It seems your status file (/var/log/pgpool/pool_status) is out of
date.

> 2018-01-23 19:23:42: pid 19872: DEBUG:  creating new connection to backend
> 2018-01-23 19:23:42: pid 19872: DETAIL:  skipping backend slot 0 because
> backend_status = 3

So Pgpool-II failes to create a connection to backend0, which causes
the segfault later on. Surely Pgpool-II needs to have a guard for the
situation, but for now you could workaround this by shutting down
pgpool, removing /var/log/pgpool/pool_status, and restarting pgoool.

Once proper pool_status is created, you don't need to repeat the
operation above. i.e. skip removing pool_status.

Best regards,
--
Tatsuo Ishii
Japanese:http://www.sraoss.co.jp