[pgpool-general: 5846] Re: Change in authentication with latest version

Tatsuo Ishii ishii at sraoss.co.jp
Wed Jan 10 09:31:56 JST 2018

> Hi,
> I have recently upgraded to using pgpool 3.7.0 on Alpine 3.7 and I noticed
> that the pool_hba.conf is not acting the way it did when I was using pgpool
> 3.5.3. Previously, in 3.5.3 the hba conf files between pgpool and postgres
> were required to match on the authentication type e.g. both in trust or
> both in md5 mode but not mixed.
>
> This seems to have changed in v3.7.0. I'm now able to have the
> pool_hba.conf set to trust and not maintaining the pool_passwd file while
> still forcing authentication at the database level with its pg_hba.conf
> using md5. Is this the expected behavior now? I personally prefer this
> setup but would like to make sure I don't have a bad build or something is
> wrong.

For me the behavior of pre 3.7 hasn't been changed in 3.7.

t-ishii at localhost: psql -p 11000 test -U foo
psql: ERROR:  MD5 authentication is unsupported in replication and master-slave modes.
HINT:  check pg_hba.conf

pool_hba.conf:
#local   all         foo                               md5
local   all         all                               trust
# IPv4 local connections:
host    all         all         127.0.0.1/32          trust
host    all         all         ::1/128               trust

pg_hba.conf:
local   all             foo                                     md5
local   all             all                                     trust
# IPv4 local connections:
host    all             all             127.0.0.1/32            trust
# IPv6 local connections:
host    all             all             ::1/128                 trust
# Allow replication connections from localhost, by a user with the
# replication privilege.
local   replication     all                                     trust
host    replication     all             127.0.0.1/32            trust
host    replication     all             ::1/128                 trust

If I removed "#" in:
#local   all         foo                               md5

md5 auth works.

Best regards,
--
Tatsuo Ishii