[pgpool-general: 1902] Re: memqcache_total_size is limited to 2gb

Tatsuo Ishii ishii at postgresql.org
Wed Jul 17 09:15:00 JST 2013

Thanks for trying out pgpool-II.

> Hello Guys,
>
> First, I would like to thank you for this great tool, it is really nice and easy to work with.
>
> I would like too give my opinion regarding using it for the first time .
>
> 1. The installation is  easy, I was able to find builds for many Linux flavours.

Good.

> 2. Setup is also easy (out of the box).

Good.

> I had couple of  errors in the log files,  so it will be nice to tackle them:
>
> 1.  Automatic creation of folders/files  specified in the configuration file during setup: It would be nice to create the default folders and files which are used by pg_pool within the  installation process. This will minimize pgpool set up and make it more plug and play.

Good point. Which directories are willing to be created automatically?
I would like to add details to the TODO list.

> 2. Logging errors only when needed: I have found errors related to master/salve replication, I did a small search and I found that they can be ignored.

Good suggestion. Can you please elaborate more on this?

> 3. Indicate all possible values for configuration parameters such as ranges for integers.

Are you suggesting to add comments to pgpool.conf?

> Finally:
>
> During playing with memcache,  the memqcache_total_size is defined as integer leading to the message below
>
> pool_config: memqcache_total_size must be equal or higher than 0 numeric value
>
> 2013-07-15 14:24:51 ERROR: pid 7315: Unable to get configuration. Exiting...
>
> In my system the max(int) is 2147483647 which is 2GB. I can think of many cases where I want to have more than 2GB of caches, is there a limitation for this number.

Fair complain. Will look into this...
--
Tatsuo Ishii
Japanese: http://www.sraoss.co.jp